Thursday, April 13, 2006

Holy...Week!!!


This week is probably the busiest week in all of the church year! Besides having Palm Sunday, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, and Easter Sunday, there's also the regular stuff that still goes on...Bible Studies, youth groups, and office hours. That all adds up to a tired Brett. (I promise that's the only time I'll speak in the third person here!)
There actually is reason to have this Bubba Gump picture here...it goes into a story for this past weekend.
So, I was out with Erin and her family this past Friday night. We went to a Japanese resturant, to one of those places where they cook the food right infront of you, the food was really good. At the end of our meal, the server came out with another one who had a gong. I'd seen this done before, they bring out the gong for those who are celebrating their birthdays. And then she asked who's birthday it was, Erin's dad said that it was mine!!! That was crazy! I was thinking to myself, my birthday isn't for another 4 months! And everyone, including Erin, was in on it! (Ah, who was there: Erin, her parents, her brother and his girlfriend, her aunt and uncle, and me) I was the only one left in the dark.
Then on Saturday, after my big evangelism project was over with...I'll get to that in a second...we (Erin, her brother, his girlfriend, and me) went to Daytona to do some shopping...more so for Erin and Carrie, than Mark or me. That was a fun time. Then we went over to Bubba Gumps, it's at the ocean walk in Daytona. (Obviously on the ocean.) And we had a little bit of a wait. And same scenario happened again as the previous night. We eat and then, after we are done, the server came out with a thing of ice cream. Except, this time was a little different...he said something about an anniversary! Then Erin's dad said that it was her's and my's first year anniversary! Oh my! It was really funny, I went along with it, but Erin was super embarassed...she was supposed to be in on it, she didn't think that she'd become part of it. They made us stand up and dance...I shook it, Erin didn't, she was so red! After that hoopla was over and we were on the way out, we had people congratulate us on one year of marriage! I could only laugh.

So my Easter Eggstravaganza was a success. (This is the project that we have to do for the seminary.) We had a carnival like atmosphere: games, food, prizes. We had it rather structured, and we were able to set it up so that the kids were to go to all the stations, in order to receive a surprise if they turned in their cards. One of the stations was the Easter story laid out in an evangelic style- which qualifies for being evangelism. We had about 100 children show up, not bad for a first time event. We had about 85 church volunteers all together, which is about 30% of the congregation, and the largest group of volunteers that this church has ever had for any one event. And they plan on doing this again next year, which is really cool!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brett-You should have told us! Your Mom & I would have come down for the ceremony! Just kidding--sounds like you had a good time. I'm glad the church is going to do the Easter Egg thing again next year. Sounds like everyone enjoyed the event.

April 14, 2006 3:44 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sounds like the evangelism module went well, that's awesome. mine is still in the works doing a vbs on july 9 for the community. enjoy the last few days of Holy Week and have a blessed Easter.

April 14, 2006 9:24 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home