Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Munchkin Christmas Show

So, last night was hilarious! We had our Open Arms Preschool Christmas Show, it was so funny. The little ones had actions to go with their songs and they did them all, but it so reminded me of The Wizard of Oz's munchkins...on drugs. These kids sung their hearts out and after each class sung their song, they ran around to the back of the sanctuary...seriously, I laughed pretty hard. The best was their last song when they sung "We Wish You a Merry Christmas," they'd raise their right arm and then swing it across the front of their bodies, that's really what made it look like something from Oz.
Okay, so a guy name Mark plays guitar for our praise service and his family came out to the Christmas show, he also has an older sister. So, right as I'm shaking her hand, an old guy walks up and says, "Now, you're not giving away your daughter, yet are you?" Whoa! That was very weird...and I wasn't too uncomfortable with it, but I saw that she was. That was my first experience with someone doing that right in front of me, I've heard about that happening with other guys. (That aproach seems a little weird for me.) My option was fight or flight, well, since I was on my way to deliver a mitten left in the sanctuary, I flight-ed. I probably shouldn't have, oh well.
About 45 minutes after their show, I had to shift gears and get ready for a memorial service for one of our members who died at the beginning of the month. I learned some things about Gene: he was a Korean veteran, he played practical jokes on people, and really enjoyed the men's Bible study on Thursday mornings at Perkins. I met his two sons last night, they both have a lot of the same facial features and expressions that their father had.
So last night on MSNBC, I watched this special report by Brian Williams on "A Day with the President." It was a really good program where Williams followed Bush around all day long and had sporadic times where the two sat down and talked. Bush answered some of the hard questions that he's been dodging and they even showed part of the clip in Philly where he had just given a speech and instead of having picked out people to ask specific questions, it was an open bi-partisan forum. And the President answered those questions as well, which ranged from getting out of Iraq to why did we start this war. (Williams asked some similar questions as well.) All in all I was impressed with how our President answered all the questions.
Yesterday, while I was working out, I saw a brief little news clip about how the phrases, "Homosexuality is a Sin" and "Jesus will set you free," are not covered under freedom of speech. Huh? I watched that on CNN news and this morning I went to cnn.com to see if I could track this story down and I couldn't find anything. However, I did run across a blogger that was discussing this issue. He wrote, asking, What's the difference between homosexuality and greed? (On a sin level.) There isn't a difference. We probably treat it differently because it's rather repulsive...I'm not hating on anyone here, I have a family member that is gay and I love that person. Perhaps it is one of those sins that we don't see any confession on, unlike someone who might be greedy seeking confession...but in either case, if someone is in a form of habitual sin, doesn't someone else need to step and help that person out. That doesn't necessarily mean changing them, but by first loving them, showing them that someone does care. This goes to my blog from Monday, what about adult film actors/actresses? Should we keep them outside of our church walls? Jesus talked about coming to heal the sick, do we think that we are so well that we do not want to be infiltrated with their sin disease? We are all sick individuals and the help we each need will be different from one person to the next, from one degree to another. And Jesus is the only one who can eternally make the difference, because he already made the difference when he died on that cross nearly 2000 years ago. I say, first we need to help the individual by bringing them the Gospel, then help them with their particular sin- whether it is lust (which counts for straight and gay individuals), greed, malice, or whatever else their problem is.

Best Idea today: Going to the Christmas show last night. Again, it was hilarious.
Worst Idea today: Not that I can control this, but it's cooled off a lot outside. I know that I'm in Florida, and you're not (a variation of SNL's weekend update with Chevy Chase), but that doesn't mean that it's cold out here. Maybe if I'd stop wearing shorts and t-shirts that might make a difference too.

Slogan of the day: "Get the Door- It's Brett Snider."
(You can sloganize your name at http://www.thesurrealist.co.uk/slogan.cgi)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home