Monday, November 21, 2005

His Grace Is Sufficient

I think that I might do some writing on the whole Nashville experience this coming week, perhaps Wednesday. But I wanted to share something that I learned about this evening, something about worship. Now, with the speaker (who I'll keep nameless), I did have my theological goggles on...there was definately some crap to sort through, but he did a fairly good job of presenting this idea, and these are some ideas that I formulated from what he was talking about.

Worship is not some convoluted style or styling, but a response to what he has done for us. We touch God's heart only when we are in His hands.
--Is this not something that we need to take a look at in the LCMS? Does it truly matter if God's people are rocking out to him with a praise band there or if a church is singing in angelic form to a great hymn? I don't think that God cares about the music, but it is where the heart is. Are we being allowed to be directed at Him, forgoing ourselves for him? It doesn't matter what form of music we sing, it can easily become some product of ourselves and the boasting that can result from worshiping how well we "worshipped" God. I will say that I enjoy a Chris Tomlin or David Crowder praise song over a song from the TLH or LW, but there are also great hymns that I love to sing as well. (Thy Strong Word and A Mighty Fortress to name two.) And both sides of the asile here make valid points, but there valid points overshadow their own shortcomings as well too. (I won't make any specific remarks concerning a particular argument, but just note that it is there.)

Luther's stance on worship and piety is necessary, or better yet, key!
--No, the speaker didn't talk about this...at all. But, what the speaker said reminded me of Luther and how much he looked to the worship of a believer as being a key aspect of who he/she is. I don't have any specific quotes from Luther on this, but it is more of a summary of how Luther felt on worship. But the big thing that I want to say about Luther and self-piety, which is a good thing!, is that Luther talked about remembering our baptism every morning. Why? Because it reminds us of who we are, what Christ did for us, and that our sins are cast away from us. It's also a great start to your day. Try crossing yourself each morning just before you crawl out of bed...I struggle keeping a habit on this, but it's something I want to be doing.

We need to stay away from consummerism worship ("all about me" worship) and cling to consumed worship ("all about God" worship...the speaker used another term, I liked this one better, probably because of my favorite Bible passage- Jere. 20:9). Somethings that were spoken of that are in contrast between the two were:
performance/God's requirement
feels good/hurts good
(These last two work for all types of worship!)
use up the song- repetitious/use up the singer
find this category in the store/cannot be categorized.
--I think that both sides of this worship argument have lost their first love. And it has now become a product...a product of ourselves that deliver what we want, inward driven worship. Think about that.

So, I've been reflecting on 2 Corinthians 12:9. Where Jesus says that His grace is sufficient enough for us. It is true. It doesn't matter whether we are at a high point or a low one...I've been on a rollercoaster ride this weekend...but it is His grace that remains ever before us, leading us and guilding us. His love never leaves, but it is always abounding in so much more than we can ever imagine. "Holy is the Lord God Almighty, the earth reveals His glory!" -Chris Tomlin.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The best commentary on worship I've heard is to work at aggrivating/annoying everyone equally. Assuming doctrinal appropriateness, for the love of my neighbor, we'll sing some songs that I don't particularly care for, and my neighbor will "suffer" the same for me. In the midst of all of it we'll celebrate God coming to serve us. Whodathunkit?

November 22, 2005 1:35 PM

 
Blogger El Fuerzo said...

Exactly. It cannot be about you, me, or some other person...it's about what God's doing for us!

November 23, 2005 10:01 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home