Friday, November 11, 2005

Happy Veteran's Day!

This holiday is probably one of the most overlooked holidays on our calendar. I never had this day off in school when I was growing up, but I do remember through 3rd grade having Columbus Day off...until some truths about that horrible man surfaced to the attention of Minnesota Independent School District 112- which was the school district that I grew up in. Only when I went to school at the University of North Dakota, did I get the chance to have that day off...a state that honors our veterans.
So, this is my grrr for the week is that we do not do enough to remember those who have served and those who do serve. The thing that pisses me off the most is when people are bickering and arguing about our current war! Okay, the facts are that we knew about Sadaam's WMD program in the late 90's and did nothing about that, other than to try to push some obviously useless sanctions through one of the most corrupt systems in our world- United Nations. Bill Clinton out right failed our country/world's security by not doing something more. Further, if we would have had a Republican controlled congress in the early 90's, G.H.W. Bush would have been able to topple Sadaam then. (Sad enough is that we put him into power and that we fought them while they were using some of our old weapons.)
Back to the WMD thing, we have intelligence reports from a vast majority of the countries that do undercover work that Iraq really did have them...so it wasn't something that G.W. Bush simply made up. He used all the intelligence that we had available to make a decision. Further, would you rather have freakin terrorists blowing up buildings on our turf, or theirs? I say that it was a good thing to invade Iraq, because it brought the war to their home turf and then allows us to get at them where they are at. But then we have the media in our country that doesn't bolster our government, that doesn't give morale to those who are fighting for our country, but they slander our government and in doing that, they slander our troops! Media outlets like MSNBC, CNN, and so many liberal, left-wing newspapers that control something like 75% of all newspapers. Foxnews does lean more to the right, but gives the opportunity to lean in the middle. The media shouldn't be telling us their version of any story! They should leave the polar-ness of any story up to the viewers/readers of whatever local news outlet exists. But instead we have the media, oh- this includes Hollywood!, that is the culprit of dividing our country, along with extremist politicians and judges.I honestly think that both political parties offer many good ideas and concepts, but they problem is that they spend too much money on wasteful endeavors. The other major problem is that we really only have a 2-party system, which doesn't work, we need more major parties, and other parties need more freedom to have their candidates to be put on ballots. One system that I like is the one that many parliaments have, which is where the different parties have to put together a coalition to have their "congresses" operate. That could prove to be beneficial here. But because of how polarly extreme our country has become...there's little hope of getting out of the status quo, which is Latin for "the mess we are in."
Okay, enough of that...I'm getting all railed up! Anyhoo, this week has been a good week! Lots of rest, lots of work done! I was able to finish my sermon for Sunday on Wednesday, a couple days earlier than last time. And all of the meetings that I had this week went well too. Youth group was pretty fun on Wednesday, we talked about families...which went okay. I sometimes wonder how we could have better studies...hmmm. I don't know what it is, but I feel that my groups just don't get a lot out of the study...maybe that's just the way I see things too.
This weekend should be interesting- we have a wedding at our church here this weekend, so I get to see how PB does that. Tonight, after the rehersal, I'm going over to a friends house to watch Episode 3...which is always a good movie to watch. And then on Sunday I get to preach again!
Best Idea today: Frosty! It tasted so good after my workout...kinda an oxymoron there...workout, eat fast food.
Worst Idea today: Getting upset and stupid Florida drivers....man, I feel my roadrage coming back!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Brett!
I just opened the "Focus" magazine from Concordia Seminary (Fall 2005 issue), and there YOU are on page 12 with the soccer team. I've been looking at your blog once in a while and happy to stay connected in that small way. I remember my vicarage in Indiana, and hope yours is going as well as mine did. I'm teaching basic
Greek again here at Wittenberg. I have six students this time!

November 15, 2005 2:39 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home