Thursday, December 15, 2005

Christmas...Holiday

I'm on an impressive streak here, this is my fourth blogging day in a row! Is it that I have extra time...not really...more so trying to release some energy to get other things done. But this is definately not my scrap work.
Last night was the Christmas Contata at my church. It was really great. There's one song that I really enjoyed that they did called "Christmastime," and some of the kids sang the openning to it. Seriously, it was so awesome.
So, with all this commotion about Christmas being called a Holiday, I was reminded by the "Grrr" section by By Mike Straka of FOXnews of what Holiday means. Well, here's the Grrr that was posted by one of his readers:
Sean in San Antonio, Texas: With all the mindless ranting about the use of the dreaded "C" word, I find it highly amusing that the recommended alternative is "Holiday." Now, those familiar with the English language--and I mean the real English language not the PC version -- know where I am going with this. If you look at the etymology of the word "Holiday," you will see that it actually means "Holy Day," or a day devoted to God. Now, I am sure this will spark a new uprising against "Happy Holidays," but until then, I'll just smile when I hear the language police try to de-emphasize the Christ in Christmas by wishing me a Happy Holy Day.
Ah-ha! Isn't English great?! If you have the opportunity to hear someone wish you a "Happy Holiday(s)," remind them that "Holiday" means "Holy Day," see what happens!

1 Comments:

Blogger Matt said...

Brett, your reference from that response totally scammed my idea for a Christmas Sermon! The whole 'Holy Day' thing... indeed it is a Holy Day.

December 17, 2005 4:14 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home