Wednesday, January 25, 2006

What Would Bono Do? Part Deux

I have more to add to this discussion on Bono, U2, well, actually, it goes into music in general. I remember, last year, a debate that was going on about Christian music and Lutheranism. There is only 1 “Lutheran” band, Lost and Found. Anybody that knows them knows this to be true. (They put on a good stage show, for those of you who haven’t seen them. –last time I saw them was this past November.) Anyhoo, the debate was, since most Christian music is more on the “look at what I’ve done” side of things versus the Lutheran way of things, “God’s grace for me, Sola Fidei, Sola Gratia, Sola Scriptura,” should we steer clear of listening to it and telling our people not to listen to it. My response was- well, if they are going to listen to music, shouldn’t Christian-type music be a better thing to listen to over non-Christian music? The obvious answer would then be a yes. Even though the music might be “theologically poor,” does that mean it’s worthless? No. I’d rather have my kids listen to music that is “theologically poor” then the mainstream stuff, which, by the way, is even more “theologically poor!”
But then again, should we really be making distinctions about whether music is Christian or not? Sure the message has an obvious difference between the two, but if a group is going to have a real impact on this world (instead of pleasing those who already believe), wouldn’t it be better for them to be on the mainstream level, than hiding in the Christian realm? I’m not trying to bash any Christian groups here, I enjoy many of those artists music, but when comparing them to a standard that U2 has set up, using their popularity to help “the least of these,” which is a calling that we Lutherans are missing, and also the message that they share in their music. Now, I know that Christian artists have a right message, no doubt there, but the world doesn’t care so much. But then when Bono talks, people listen. It’s an amazing paradox. Referencing that Group article, from my previous blog, Bono points to Jesus for his inspiration. But more than that, a lot of non-believers do the same (talking about Jesus being a moral teaching and all that jazz), that it is a matter of grace. From that article, it took a quote from the book, Bono: In Conversation, where Bono says:
“At the center of all religions is the idea of karma. You know, what you put out comes back to you…And yet, along comes this idea called grace to upend all that ‘as you reap, so you will sow’ stuff. Grace defies reason and logic. Love interrupts…the consequences of your actions, which in my case is very good news indeed, because I’ve done a lot of stupid stuff. …That’s between me and God. But I’d be in big trouble if karma was going to finally be my judge…it doesn’t excuse my mistakes, but I’m holding out for grace. I’m holding out that Jesus took my sins onto the Cross, because I know who I am, and I hope I don’t have to depend on my own religiosity.”
Bono’s no Lutheran, but take a look at that last line again. “I’m holding out that Jesus took my sins onto the Cross.” Does it get any more Lutheran than that? Talk about a Christ-centered message, more than that—talk about a Cross-looking view of our faith! Looking to the Cross, seeing that Jesus did it all for us, and not having to depend on our good works, what we can put into it, but purely grace…what a way to live!
Bono may be a little weird at times, he might say the wrong thing, he might be looking a little to the left of things (social justice…etc…things that many of us would consider to be along the lines of the Democrats), but he is a Christ-centered brother. And maybe this is the activist side in me coming out (I think that I’m a big activist…at heart, I just need to become it), but there is a page from Bono that we, Lutherans, can put into our faith and what we do with our faith. So, what does this mean? It means being active in your community, helping those who are “the least of these,” and being a “little Christ” to those who need Jesus. Sure, the verbal message of the Gospel may not be spoken, but that doesn’t mean that God isn’t working in the lives of those who we can help. In fact, what if your good works are only a stepping stone for that person, so that, by God using someone else, the people you interact with become one of His people. A great section of Scripture that ties this all together comes from Matthew 25:31-46. I’m only going to quote 34-40.
“Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.’ Then the righteous will answer Him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and gave you drink? And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?’ And the King will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.’” (Emphasis added.)
If you cannot, for whatever reason, agree with Bono, Jesus puts it in His own terms. "Are you one of my followers? What have you done to show your faith?" -Well, J.C. didn't exactly say it like that, but it gets his point across. (For those of you esteemed in theology- This is a Third use of the Law application here...in other words, you are a Christian, now prove it.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home